As the new year approaches, it’s time to start thinking where you would like to be next year. How about free of your addiction to pornography? The road to recovery from pornography addiction may be long and difficult, but you can make the journey one step at a time. Here are five steps you can take now that will help you traverse a significant portion of your journey:
1. Acknowledge your addiction. You can’t begin the process of recovery if you are experiencing denial over your addiction. Recognizing that your consumption of pornography is a problem and needs to be addressed is the first step in overcoming pornography addiction.
2. Implement and uphold a policy of honesty. This is one of the most intimidating steps because it requires admitting to family members and close friends that you have an addiction. Your loved ones can be your greatest source of support and help you maintain accountability as you travel the road to recovery.
3. Build a support network. You can also find support outside of your immediate family and friends. Local churches and community programs offer support groups of people who understand the struggles you face and can guide you in the right direction.
4. Make your home pornography proof. Regression is common when fighting against addiction, but returning to old habits doesn’t get you any closer to recovery, so it’s important to remove all sources of your porn addiction from your home to reduce temptation. Try keeping all computers in common areas of the house and install content filters to block graphic sites.
5. Seek professional help. Overcoming addiction alone is nearly impossible, which is why professional help is so crucial to your recovery. You can receive the knowledge and guidance you need to stay on track with recovery by attending recovery meetings, counseling, and addiction recovery programs. Desert Solace offers resources and a 12-step recovery program to help those struggling with pornography to overcome their addictions.
If 2018 is the year you want to live free of the harmful effects of pornography, we encourage you to call Desert Solace at 435-817-1351 today and learn more about the steps you can take to break your pornography addiction in St. George, Utah. If you are interested in joining our program, we would be happy to help you get started.